Healthcare professionals from across Canada and the world have made St. Thomas-Elgin home. We have world-class facilities, a strong commitment to delivering services locally, and a talented health recruitment expert that can help you find the right place to start your practice. Our region is a proud member of the South West Local Health Integration Network. Some of our local facilities include:
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital is a 150+ bed facility providing comprehensive 24-hour coverage in Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Anesthesia, Emergency, Family Medicine, and more. More than 800 professionals work at STEGH, including over 200 credentialed professional staff members. Important hospital distinctions include:
- An on-going $16 million dollar expansion to strengthen emergency, mental health and addictions, surgery, and medical device repair services to be completed in 2017,
- Gold or Platinum Level Quality Healthcare Workplace Awards between 2010-2013 from the Ontario Hospital Association and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care,
- Consistently lower wait times for emergency services, surgeries, MRIs, and CT scans compared to provincial averages,
- One of four designated Stroke Centres in southwestern Ontario, providing coordinated care to patients and families in St. Thomas-Elgin, and
- Participation as a community hospital training centre in the Southwestern Ontario Medical Education Network for residents in OB/Gyn, Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, Surgery, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Hospitalists, Anesthesiology, and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Elgin St. Thomas Public Health
The staff of Elgin St. Thomas Public Health (ESTPH) provide programs and services to a mixed urban and rural region with the common goal of building a healthy community. ESTPH employs a variety of public health and administrative professionals dedicated to the overall goal of promoting and supporting the health of the people who live, work and play in Elgin County, including doctors, nurses, health promoters, dieticians, dental hygienists, and healthcare managers.
Featured programs at ESTPH include:
- Immunization clinics for children and adults
- Extensive prenatal, pregnancy and postnatal assistance for local families
- The Quit Clinic, designed to assist with smoking cessation
- Sexual health services, including family planning, testing and resources
- Preventative dental clinics and dental education in the community
Community Health Centres
Community health centres provide primary care services, health promotion, and illness prevention services in a coordinated manner. They have a strong community development focus that addresses social, economic and environmental problems negatively impacting people’s health. The two community health centres in St. Thomas-Elgin are:
- Central Community Health Centre, which provides services to St. Thomas, Central Elgin and Southwold, and
- West Elgin Community Health Centre, which provides services to West Elgin and Dutton/Dunwich.
Staffing can include family doctors, nurse practitioners, Registered Practical Nurses, diabetes educators, social workers, mental health therapists, chiropodists, dietitians, health promoters, personal support workers, and community outreach workers.
Services offered at our community health centres include:
- Primary health care via family physicians and allied health professionals
- Mobile teams providing wellness programs, social work services, and clinics to smaller communities
- LQBTQ health resources
- Diabetes education and management services
- Mental health support
Family Health Teams
Family health teams provide residents with coordinated access to multi-disciplinary healthcare professionals, including family doctors, nurse practitioners, Registered Practical Nurses, chiropodists, chiropractors, occupational therapists, pharmacists, physiotherapists, dieticians, respiratory therapists, and social workers. Two family health teams are located in St. Thomas-Elgin:
Our family health teams offer:
- Primary healthcare services
- Chronic pain and disease management
- Smoking cessation assistance
- Hypertension prevention
- Mental health supports and services
Private Healthcare Clinics
There are numerous private clinics and service providers throughout St. Thomas-Elgin that provide primary and specialty care to our residents. For up-to-date listings, browse the Southwest Healthline directory.
Contact our Expert
Cheryl Fish is a health recruiter for St. Thomas-Elgin and can help you understand your employment options based on your medical profession and specialty. Contact Cheryl directly at firstname.lastname@example.org