I Am A Student

University & College

Are you coming to Canada as an international student? If you want to enjoy the benefits of a lower cost of living and higher quality of life with world-class facilities only a short drive away, consider St. Thomas-Elgin. We are close to world-renowned Western University, including the Ivey Business School and Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry. The university offers undergraduate, master’s and doctoral programs, as well as numerous academic and research job opportunities.

Western University              Ivey Business School               


St. Thomas is also home to Fanshawe College's St. Thomas-Elgin campus and is a short drive from the college's main campus in London. Fanshawe College is one of Ontario’s largest colleges, offering many skilled trades, apprenticeship, and training courses. Fanshawe College also offers courses to upgrade your skills or programs for adults who wish to change careers. The close proximity and range of full-time, part-time, and online programs makes it easy and convenient to study.

Learning English

If you, your partner or another adult relative would like to improve their English language skills, there are several options.

Permanent residents who want to learn basic conversational English can enroll in the free LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) program in St. Thomas and Aylmer. The program uses the Canadian Language Benchmarks system to assess adult learners and help track their progress over time. These classes are organized by YWCA St. Thomas-Elgin.

English as a Second Language (ESL) classes are also available through the Thames Valley District School Board, either at locations in London or online. These classes help adult learners earn high school credits that may be necessary for further post-secondary study or upgrading.

Adult Education

There are many adult education programs. Before enrolling in a program, you must decide if you would like to upgrade your education, apply for your General Educational Development (GED), or obtain High School Credits. You will also need English language skills to be successful. Adult Education providers in the region include Fanshawe College, Thames Valley District School Board (TVDSB), YWCA St. Thomas-Elgin, and Contact North.


Elgin County
City of St.Thomas
YW St.Thomas
Province of Ontario