St. Thomas-Elgin has world-class healthcare facilities and a strong commitment to delivering services locally. You won't need to go far to access some of the most cutting-edge technologies and treatments when you need them most. Our local services include:
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital
St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital (STEGH) is a 179-bed facility serving the City of St. Thomas and all seven municipalities within the County of Elgin. STEGH has a proud history and legacy in the community with over 65 years of service. A fully accredited hospital, STEGH offers a full range of services, including: outpatient care, diagnostic imaging, inpatient acute care, emergency services, post-acute care, and regional satellite services. More than 800 staff work at STEGH, including over 200 professionals. Important accolades and distinctions include:
- 2022 Creating Healthy Workplaces Award - recognizing STEGH for making employee health an essential part of the organizations’ culture.
- STEGH named as one of the "Best Places to Work 2022" by Human Resources Director Canada (HRDC).
- STEGH named one of the World's Best Hospitals according to Newsweek (2022).
- Favourite Local Employer 2021 as voted by residents of St. Thomas and Elgin County in the myFM Spirit Awards.
- Accreditation Canada: Awarded Accreditation with Exemplary Standing (2019-2022).
- Satellite Cancer Clinic of London Health Sciences Centre, offering chemotherapy closer to home.
- Home to one of four designated Stroke Centres in the South West region.
- Proud partner of the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry at Western University.
Learn more about what sets STEGH apart from the rest: https://www.stegh.on.ca/work-volunteer-here/career-opportunities/
Elgin St. Thomas Public Health
Elgin St. Thomas Public Health provides health education and outreach programs and services with the overall goal of promoting and supporting the health of the people who live, work and play in Elgin County.
Featured programs at ESTPH include:
- Immunization clinics for children and adults
- Extensive prenatal, pregnancy and postnatal assistance for local families
- The Quit Clinic, designed to assist with smoking cessation
- Sexual health services, including family planning, testing and resources
- Preventative dental clinics and dental education in the community
Community Health Centres
Community health centres provide primary care services, health promotion, and illness prevention services in a coordinated manner. They have a strong community development focus that addresses social, economic and environmental problems negatively impacting people’s health. The two community health centres in St. Thomas-Elgin are:
- Central Community Health Centre, which provides services to St. Thomas, Central Elgin and Southwold, and
- West Elgin Community Health Centre, which services West Elgin and Dutton/Dunwich.
Staffing can include family doctors, nurse practitioners, Registered Practical Nurses, diabetes educators, social workers, mental health therapists, chiropodists, dietitians, health promoters, personal support workers, and community outreach workers.
Services offered at our community health centres include:
- Primary health care via family physicians and allied health professionals
- Mobile teams providing wellness programs, social work services, and clinics to smaller communities
- LQBTQ health resources
- Diabetes education and management services
- Mental health support
Family Health Teams
Family health teams provide residents with coordinated access to multi-disciplinary healthcare professionals, including family doctors, nurse practitioners, Registered Practical Nurses, chiropodists, chiropractors, occupational therapists, pharmacists, physiotherapists, dieticians, respiratory therapists, and social workers. Three family health teams service St. Thomas-Elgin:
Private Clinics & Services
There are numerous private clinics and service providers throughout St. Thomas-Elgin that provide primary and specialty care to our residents. For up-to-date listings, browse the following links:
- The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario Doctor Search Tool
- Ontario Dental Association Find a Dentist Tool
- Southwest Healthline – Elgin Directory of Services
If you are interested in healthcare career opportunities, refer to the I am a Healthcare Professional page.