St. Thomas-Elgin has world-class healthcare facilities and a strong commitment to delivering services locally. You won't need to go far to access some of the most cutting-edge technologies and treatments when you need them most. Our local services include:
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital (STEGH) is a 150+ bed facility that provides local residents with 24-hour services including emergency medicine, surgery, cardiology, palliative care, chemotherapy, clinical nutrition, diagnostic imaging, mental health, pediatrics, obstetrics, and more. The hospital is currently undergoing a $16 million dollar expansion to increase emergency, mental health, surgery, and medical device repair services.
Between 2010-2013, STEGH was awarded Gold or Platinum Level Quality Healthcare Workplace Awards by the Ontario Hospital Association and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. The facility also boasts consistently lower wait times for emergency services, surgeries, MRIs, and CT scans compared to provincial averages, and is one of four designated Stroke Centres in southwestern Ontario, providing coordinated care to patients and families.
Elgin St. Thomas Public Health
Elgin St. Thomas Public Health provides health education and outreach programs and services with the overall goal of promoting and supporting the health of the people who live, work and play in Elgin County.
Featured programs at ESTPH include:
- Immunization clinics for children and adults
- Extensive prenatal, pregnancy and postnatal assistance for local families
- The Quit Clinic, designed to assist with smoking cessation
- Sexual health services, including family planning, testing and resources
- Preventative dental clinics and dental education in the community
Community Health Centres
Community health centres provide primary care services, health promotion, and illness prevention services in a coordinated manner. They have a strong community development focus that addresses social, economic and environmental problems negatively impacting people’s health. The two community health centres in St. Thomas-Elgin are:
- Central Community Health Centre, which provides services to St. Thomas, Central Elgin and Southwold, and
- West Elgin Community Health Centre, which services West Elgin and Dutton/Dunwich.
Staffing can include family doctors, nurse practitioners, Registered Practical Nurses, diabetes educators, social workers, mental health therapists, chiropodists, dietitians, health promoters, personal support workers, and community outreach workers.
Services offered at our community health centres include:
- Primary health care via family physicians and allied health professionals
- Mobile teams providing wellness programs, social work services, and clinics to smaller communities
- LQBTQ health resources
- Diabetes education and management services
- Mental health support
Family Health Teams
Family health teams provide residents with coordinated access to multi-disciplinary healthcare professionals, including family doctors, nurse practitioners, Registered Practical Nurses, chiropodists, chiropractors, occupational therapists, pharmacists, physiotherapists, dieticians, respiratory therapists, and social workers. Three family health teams service St. Thomas-Elgin:
Private Clinics & Services
There are numerous private clinics and service providers throughout St. Thomas-Elgin that provide primary and specialty care to our residents. For up-to-date listings, browse the following links:
- The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario Doctor Search Tool
- Ontario Dental Association Find a Dentist Tool
- Southwest Healthline – Elgin Directory of Services
If you are interested in healthcare career opportunities, refer to the I am a Healthcare Professional page.