Immigration & Settlement

Newcomers and immigrants arrive in St. Thomas-Elgin through various visa programs and circumstances. Some are family-sponsored and arrive directly in St. Thomas-Elgin, such as Frank and Iin, while others move from other parts of Canada, finding opportunities and making new friends when they arrive, such as Malichi and Gabriel and Doris.

Regardless of how you arrive in St. Thomas-Elgin, settling into a new area takes time and our local government-funded settlement agencies can help you through the process if you need it.

Settlement Agencies

In St. Thomas-Elgin, there are two government-funded settlement agencies that provide free support and assistance to newcomers and immigrants in St. Thomas-Elgin:

These agencies help individuals and families with a variety of immigration tasks and processes, including:

  • Citizenship: Information, application, and follow-up help through the process
  • Other types of immigration help: Information on how to become a permanent resident, obtain a work permit, extend a visitor visa, etc
  • Family Services: Assistance with government benefits, the school system, birth and death certificates, passports, driver’s licenses, social insurance numbers, etc
  • Seniors Services: Assistance with Old Age Security and Canada Pension Plan applications
  • Referrals: Connections to other agencies that can help you with healthcare, housing, disability, Ontario Works, etc
  • Interpretation and translation: Oral and written interpretation in various languages
  • LINC English Language Classes: free conversational English classes for Permanent Residents

For more information, contact the organizations directly.

Mennonite Community Services (MCS) - 16 Talbot Street East, Aylmer, ON, N5H 1H4, 519-765-3020

YWCA St. Thomas-Elgin - 16 Mary Street West, St. Thomas, ON, N5P 2S3, 519-631-9800


Elgin County
City of St.Thomas
YW St.Thomas
Province of Ontario